Friday, October 12, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

On Monday I took the kids to Costco for a routine grocery trip. As we were walking down the isle a cute grandpa in a motorized shopping cart stopped us and said, "Wow, three good kids! They deserve a quarter! You usually don't see three good ones." So immediately he starts digging through his little fanny pack looking for change. I told him that it wasn't necessary to give my children money, but he insisted. He proceeded to hand each of my children two quarters, even two for Cannon (who immediately tried to put them in his mouth so Sidney gladly volunteered to hold his money). Savana and Sidney were just beaming with gratitude. As we continued shopping Savana and Sidney kept saying how nice that man was to give them money. I of course took the opportunity and said, "See, that is why we use good manners at the store, because you never know who is watching you."

It's funny, because until that moment, I hadn't realized just how good my kids were being. Usually someone is tired, or hungry, or doesn't want to be touched by a sibling, or wants to climb on the cart, or wants some candy etc. This was one of those rare moments that every parent prays will be the norm.

On the car ride home the kids were still talking about the kind man, and it made me realize how a simple act of kindness can really make a difference. It's the little things we do that mean the most. I'm sure that in the future my children will think twice before throwing a fit in the grocery store and I'll have a complete stranger to thank for that.

1 comment:

Cara said...

What an amazing man. I think that's so great for your girls. We had a similar experience at Walmart with an elderly lady. Britney still remembers her. I vaguely remember now. I love to hear stories like these. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we could all be like that man??? Thanks for sharing!