Saturday, September 20, 2008

Milestone #30

Well I turned 30 years old this week (on September 17 to be exact). I remember when I was a kid how old 30 sounded--even 20 sounded old back then--but now that I've hit 30 it doesn't seem so old anymore. The older I get the more grateful I am for another year of life surrounded by dear family and friends.

Here is a recap of my big day:

I got up early in the morning to shower and get ready because I had to head up to Salt Lake to have some lab work done. Every six months I have to get my blood checked and complete another fun test in order to measure how my kidneys are doing. It had to be done this week and it turns out that my birthday was the most convenient day to get it done. Why drive to Salt Lake you ask? My insurance will only pay for the lab work at certain labs and sadly the closet one is currently in Salt Lake at St. Mark’s Hospital. I will meet with my Doctor on October 1st to get my results.

While I was getting ready, Jason got up with the kids and made them all breakfast. Then they all played dog pile on top of Dad. I couldn’t help but feel so grateful for my family as I watched them play and have fun. I love them all so much. The best part was when Cannon randomly decided to blow raspberries on Jason’s back. The girls got a kick out of that and it took Jason by surprise.

While I was in Salt Lake Jason took Cannon and Sidney to the store to pick out balloons and some of my favorite candy. They surprised me when I got home. Then Sidney went to school and Cannon had a nap so I got some quiet time to get caught up on my email. I also had time to make myself a birthday cake.

In the evening we went to Chuck E. Cheese’s to celebrate my nephew, River’s, one-year-old birthday. How many 30 year olds get to say they spent their birthday at Chuck E. Cheese’s? My kids thought that was great! River’s birthday is actually next week, but I guess this was the best day for them to have a party.

We had to leave River’s party a little early because some of my friends had arranged a girl’s night out to celebrate mine and my friend Mindy’s birthdays. We met at CafĂ© Rio and had a great time catching up and just hanging out. Thanks to Leah for planning it!

When I got home the kids were all in bed and I got to enjoy a big piece of birthday cake. It was delicious! Then I fell into bed completely exhausted. My allergies have been giving me grief lately and the extra medicine I take wipes me out.

Thank you to all my friends and family for your phone calls and warm wishes. I’ve decided that turning 30 really isn’t so bad. It’s how you feel on the inside that counts…..right?

Sidney took the picture of me with my balloons and then Cannon decided that he wanted to take a picture too. Below is the picture of Sidney that Cannon took.

Then Sidney decided she wanted to pose for the camera. Cute Sidney!


Here we are at Cafe Rio! (except Leah, who had to leave early)

This is the yummy carrot cake that I made.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

You had to make your own birthday cake? I'm sure it was yummier that way, though. How did you get away with a photo at Cafe Rio? I have found them to be photo nazi's in there. Looks like a great day...30's are wonderful by the way.

Dan, Pam and Family said...

Welcome to the 30's crowd. Sounds like a busy birthday to me. The picture of Sidney striking a pose is awesome. She's so dang cute.
Praying the tests all turn out okay. Hang in there.
Pam

Lemon Family said...

Happy Birthday Debbie!

Cara said...

Happy Birthday!!! I'm glad you had a good day (minus the testing). It was fun at dinner. We'll have to do it again soon!

Leah said...

So glad we could go out!

Amy Rindy said...

That cake looks delicious! And we've got to go out more often!

Jewel said...

Yeah, that carrot cake looks SO good. My bday is July 11th.