Tonight the kids and I were playing music on the computer and having a great time singing and dancing. It reminded me of the good old days when I would sit with my Dad and siblings and listen to his old records. One of my all time favorites was my Dad's "Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits" record. We made him play The Battle of New Orleans over and over.
I played some of the old songs for the girls tonight and they gave me the strangest look. After a few minutes they wanted "their music" back on. Maybe one day they will be able to appreciate it.
One of the things I love most about music is the vivid memories and feelings it can bring. Whenever I hear the song Tom Dooley by the Kingston Trio I'll think of my tone deaf Dad sitting around a camp fire late at night singing. That's one of the things I love about my dad. He can't really carry a turn, but he'll sing his heart out. He showed me how to love music. I think it's something he learned from his dad, my Grandpa Howard loved music too. He would always play his harmonica and sing songs to us.
I just hope I can carry on the tradition and teach my kids to love good music as much as I do. There's nothing like a good song to brighten your day and change your mood.................THANKS DAD!




2 comments:
Awesome post, Great Memories.
Love the Johnny Horton.
Unfortunately I inherited the tone deafness from Dad, but even then... I too, still LOVE music. And there is nothing like classic music around a campfire.
I'm so-oo putting this on my I pod.
I also LOVE just jamming to music with my kids, but it's been a few months.
Thanks for the inspiration, I love the feel of this music.
Pam
I can relate, but with us it was Abba and Burl Ives...
-Cindy
Post a Comment